Fort Valley is a rural city of nearly 10,000 residents with a strong sense of community energy and pride. Home to the historic Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley has been selected as one of a few Georgia ciies to receive the designation of a "City of Excellence." The award is based upon the city being one of Georgia's best managed and most livable cities. The city was recently named a "Top City" by Georgia Trend Magazine.
From 1910 to 1986, the Woolfolk Chemical Works site was used for the manufacture of inorganic and organic insecticides, pesticides, and herbicides. In 1986, EPA initiated its investigation of the release of hazardous substances, which resulted in placement of the property on the EPA Superfund/National Priorities List in 1988.
With remediation complete, Fort Valley is focused on the future. Redevelopment of the former Woolfolk Chemical Works site is critical given its strategic location in the heart of downtown Fort Valley. Following a community planning process, the City has developed a site layout that celebrates the recovery, provides needed space for vital community services, returns residential development to the site, and offers opportunities for retail growth in the heart of downtown.
The City of Fort Valley and its partners are actively pursuing private investors, federal and state agencies, and foundations to help fund this redevelopment effort.
The new Thomas Public Library was constructed in 1997 on property donated by Canadyne-Georgia, the successor to Woolfolk Chemical Works, and serves as the official repository of all site records.
The Troutman House, built in 1855, sits directly across from the Woolfolk Site and after years of disrepair and neglect, the Troutman House has been fully renovated and serves as home to the Downtown Development Authority and MainStreet, the Georgia Peach Festival, the Peach County Chamber of Commerce, the Welcome Center, and the Peach County Development Authority.